Costs can vary based on your location. Do not let the price of Lap Band surgery affect your decision to choose a qualified surgeon. In fact, choosing a good surgeon is one of the most important choices you have prior to surgery.
The cost of a lap band surgery ranges from $12,000 USD to $20,000
$14,500 is the most often quoted average gastric band price.
Surgery centers can be less expensive than a hospital for a lap band procedure
Cash prices tend to be lower than if insurance pays.
But before deciding to spend money on a gastric band, consider the following:
- If you have a complication, will your insurance cover it or will you have to pay out of pocket?
- Ask your surgeon what is included with lap band surgery? Follow up and adjustments after your surgery could take weeks or months to find the right fit for your lifestyle.
- Most bariatric surgeons will provide you with before and after consultations, long term support, and free or low cost lap band fills. Find out up front how your surgeon handles follow up.
- Some practices offer dietitian services, support groups, and some even have their own Smartphone App. Apps make a great patient tool. They let you stay connected for years after surgery and also let you monitor your progress. Restricting your food intake through a lap band is only one aspect of obesity. Underlining hormone functions including thyroid function as well as psychological aspects of obesity are all areas that need to be treated to make you lap band surgery a success.
To qualify for a lap band In the United States you must meet the minimum requirements below before having gastric band surgery.
- Body Mass Index of 40 or greater or;
- Body Mass Index of 35 or greater with at least two additional diagnosis such as hypertension or diabetes.
Even with the above requirements it still does not mean that your insurance company will cover surgery. In fact, almost all of the insurance companies have additional criteria they look at before they will agree to cover your surgery. If you are paying cash for your procedure and having it performed in the United States, then you only have to meet the requirements above.
After Lap Band Surgery Costs
- Many of the items below are covered by your insurance provider if your procedure was covered. But it’s worth it to ask your insurance company before surgery, what they cover after surgery.
- Nutritionist appointments are often out of pocket or negotiated before surgery.
- Lap Band fills or adjustments are often covered by insurance for the first year. Adjustments are a critical component of having a lab band surgery. The adjustment helps restrict the flow of food into your stomach.
- Lap Band fills can cost anywhere from $100 USD to over $300 per visit if not covered by insurance.
- After surgery follow-up visits with your bariatric surgeon are typically free for a defined period of time.
- Complications can be extremely expensive. If the surgery is covered by insurance, then complications are typically covered as well.
Follow a patients journey here: